Friday, January 15, 2010

Qualities of a Teacher

January 15, 2010

So in my last post I discussed qualities of learning-my own teach-ability and willingness to learn what God has to teach me in these verses.

"The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becomes holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things. That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." Titus 2:3-5
But what makes a good teacher, what qualities and characteristics does she have? I came up with:
  • knowledge
  • obedience
  • patience
  • eagerness
  • respect

I am sure there are many more, but those are the qualities I feel a teacher needs to be effective.

Titus 2:3 refers to the "aged women"...John Gill's Exposition of the Bible defines "aged women" as "ancient widows, wives of elders, godly women in years." These are women who have a knowledge of God's word and have been obedient to His will for many years.

Reverence ("behavior as becomes holiness") is defined by the Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible as "to show respect or fear" and defined by another dictionary as "a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe". I love the idea of being "tinged with awe" when referring to my feelings for my Heavenly Father..because He is truly awesome!

These verses also indicate the aged women are not to be given to much wine...but there are other things that can impede our ability to teach and set a good example when we are "given too much". Some of the ones I have struggled with in the past (and some I still do) include:

  • idleness (TV, Internet)
  • excessive spending
  • gossip

Not only do the "aged women" need to possess these qualities, but they should display them at all times. Those of us with children know that they learn by our example, not necessarily by what we tell them is right.

These qualities are not just for the "aged women". They are to be taught, by example, to the young women so that we (yes, I still consider myself in the "young women" category!) can start practicing these behaviors as well. And although I may consider myself a "young" woman, I know that I am an example to someone else who may be younger or less experienced that me. The process of becoming a "Titus 2 woman" is just that, a process. There is no magical age where you go from "young" to "aged" and suddenly start displaying the characteristics outlined by Paul in his letter to Titus. It is possible for young women to start these behaviors now, although I do believe that age, maturity, and experience play a vital role in the process and for those, there is no substitute.

So women, young and "aged", consider your daily walk. Consider your behavior in EVERY situation, not just when you think someone else may be watching. For we are always teachers to someone and we want to set a good example at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment