Friday, January 8, 2010

Personal Application for Titus 2:3-5

January 8, 2010

After studying the instructions in Titus 2:3-5, I answered several questions regarding how these verses apply to my life. I struggled with whether or not to share my answers, then I prayed about it and felt led to share what I had discovered about myself.

1. How well do you receive teaching and instruction?
  • I receive instruction better than I used to. I still struggle when the instruction is on a topic that I am familiar with and feel comfortable with. I sometimes have an attitude of "I know all there is to know about this, what else could I possibly learn." But, I am continuing to realize that there is always more to learn about everything!

2. In what are do you see your greatest need for instruction?

  • In having a gentle and quiet spirit.
  • In maintaining my home, improving my homemaking skills.
  • In diligence and perseverance. I tend towards laziness and I give up easily on things I truly want that require effort.

3. Could you take care of these things today?

  • I should be taking care of these things every day. Reading God's instruction and applying in my daily life.

4. How do you handle the negative reactions of others to changes, decisions, or convictions you make or maintain?

  • I recently read a book that contained very wise counsel on this subject. As long as what I am doing is in line with God's will, I should not concern myself with the opinions of others.
  • That said, often God uses friends, family, even strangers, to help us see when a decision or change we have made or a conviction we are upholding is not in His will. In light of that fact, when I feel that I am getting negative feedback, I go to Him in prayer.

5. Do you remain gracious in your thoughts and speech when confronted by negative reactions?

  • I would like to say yes to this question, but in all honesty, I cannot. I have vastly improved in my ability to hold my tongue. I have practiced praying before I speak, especially when I am emotional about the subject. However, I cannot say my thoughts always remain gracious. I frequently find myself asking God's forgiveness for impulsive and ungracious thoughts towards those who I feel have wronged me in some way.

6. Do you bring undue criticism upon yourself?

  • While I have been able to learn to control my tongue, I am still working on controlling my facial expressions and body language. So, although I may not verbalize my frustration or anger, most people can see it clearly written on my face. This can result in criticism related to having a bad attitude or quick temper.
  • As I previously mentioned as well, I do tend towards laziness. I happen to have a very giving husband and I have been known to take advantage of that characteristic. This is definitely still a work in progress for me!

7. How do you handle praise?

  • In a word, poorly. I tend to get embarrassed and try to shift the focus to another subject. I also am terribly afraid of being prideful, so I tend to reject any kind of praise or commendation.

8. Are there changes you perceive the Lord convicting you to make that you are anxious about?

  • I do perceive that God has many changes in store for me. With my husband studying to be a pastor, I feel that God has His work cut out making me a suitable pastor's wife!
  • This brings to mind the scripture Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." Although initially I may have some anxiety about what God has called me to do, I know that He has a perfect plan for me and my family. I can find peace in prayer.

I hope these questions and answers will help you see how the words of Paul in Titus 2:3-5 can and should apply to you and your daily walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment