So I am wrapping up my study on the characteristics of the "aged women" mentioned in Titus 2:3-5, the characteristics of a "teacher". In doing so, I looked at 3 women in the Bible who had some of these characteristics. Women that I can look at today as a model of these characteristics.
- OBEDIENCE-In a time when faith in God was definitely outside the "mainstream", she trusted Him and Noah. Even in the face of public humiliation for her husband building the Ark, she trusted God and Noah and did not waver in her obedience to either.
- SUBMISSION-Again, she submitted to her husband, even when society told her he was crazy. She trusted him to be obedient to God and, in turn, she was submissive to Noah.
- PATIENCE & PERSEVERANCE-Not only did she submit to and obey Noah and God, she persevered in raising a godly family in a society that put little to value on faith in God. We consider society today to be far from God's will, but in Noah's time, society was so bad, that God saw nothing to redeem but Noah and his family. Yet even in those dark and terrible times, Noah's wife raised her sons to be men of God.
- FAITHFUL-Even in times of trial, when she did not understand God's purpose in a situation, she was faithful and obedient to His will.
- COURAGEOUS-A Jewess in the harem of the Persian king....that takes some serious courage. She maintained her faith, openly, in a time when it could mean persecution, even death.
- RESOLUTE-Esther resolved not to waver in her mission from God. She was determined to save her people by whatever means necessary and willing to risk her own life and well-being to do so.
- GRACEFUL-Even though she was both courageous and resolute, she was also graceful. Never overbearing or forceful. Calm and serene in the face of danger and persecution.
- LOYAL-Ruth stayed with Naomi, travelled with her to a foreign land and started a new life.
- HUMBLE-She only took what wheat she needed for her and Naomi to survive. She did not become greedy when she easily could have taken more.
- BRAVE AND COURAGEOUS IN LOVE-Although Boaz is the "kinsman redeemer" and certainly in a better social situation than Ruth; she, too, took a chance when accepting his courtship of her. She did not have a good history when it came to love and relationships, and he was significantly older than she. But she looked past that and saw the true value of his generous spirit.
- TRUSTING AND HONEST-Ruth trusted Naomi to guide her through Boaz's courtship, she was in a foreign land with foreign customs. She also trusted Boaz to be sincere in his offer of marriage.
There are many women in the Bible that exude characteristics of a Titus 2 woman. I have barely scratched the surface of the guidance the women of the Bible have to offer us today. I hope you read this and use this as a starting point to look for your own role models among these amazing women.