Saturday, January 2, 2010

Becoming a Titus 2 Woman

January 2, 2010

So I am starting a new journey today. A journey to becoming a "Titus 2" woman. In Paul's letter to Titus, he gives him instruction related to his role in the organization and supervision of the churches in Crete. He gives specific characteristics of what is expected of the men and women of the church.

"the older women, likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of the good things-that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Titus 2:3-6

Today, I discovered a Bible Study outline by Pamela Spurling (achristianhome.org) that will guide me through the scripture in pursuit of becoming a "Titus 2" woman.

Proverbs 14:1 says "A wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands."

To build up is defined by Baker's Evangelical Dictionary as "strengthening, establishing, causing to prosper". There are many ways we can can "strengthen or establish" our homes (reference- "John Gill's Exposition of the Bible"):
  • good house-wifery, prudent economy-keeping a clean and tidy home, being budget conscious
  • looking well to the ways of the household-knowing what the members of the household are doing, being involved in their lives
  • guiding the affairs of the house with discretion-keeping family business at home, not airing "dirty laundry" to others
  • keeping all things in a good decorum-preparing for company, keeping a neat and tidy living space
  • bringing up our children in virtue, and in the fear & admonition of the Lord-I think this one is self-explanatory!

To "pull or pluck down", however, is defined as "to ruin or destroy". There are many ways we destroy our households and families, many of which are encouraged by today's worldly society:

  • idleness & laziness
  • lavish and profuse way of living
  • negligence of economy/budget
  • attention to other diversions (e.g. television, Internet, shopping, etc.)

So I have made 2 lists, one of ways that I am "building up" my home, and one of how I am "plucking down" my home. (No...I am not going to share my personal lists!).I also made lists of ways I can change my behaviors and things I can do to build up and stop tearing down. Call it a sort of "New Year's Resolution"....or better yet, the first step on my path of becoming a Titus 2 woman!

I am blessed that God has provided these instructions and look forward to sharing my journey through His word with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment