Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Actions Speak Louder Than Words


My devotions this week have focused on the actions of a Christian and how those actions effect others and reflect on Christ.


"My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth." -1 John 3:18


I often say that I have good intentions but poor follow through. But this verse makes me think, how good are those intentions without the follow through. It's nice to think about calling someone to check on them or just try to cheer them up, but if I don't actually do it, how does that person know I was thinking about them? God wants us to care for one another, not just talk about it. I am challenging myself this week (and ongoing) to think of ways I can let my friends and family know I care for them. I am also challenging myself to follow through!


"Fathers provoke not your children, lest they be discouraged." -Colossians 3:21


This verse brought many questions to mind for me...


How do I speak to my children? (not always kindly and gently)


Do my words edify or belittle them? (too often, the answer is belittle)


How can I do better to be tender, loving and respectful of my children? (stop taking out my frustration on them, take a deep breath and count to 10 before I respond in anger)


Again, I am challenged to make my home a quiet and cheerful place. A place my children are comforted and encouraged, not discouraged.


Love & prayers to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment