Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Convicted


So I am catching up on my "Chaos to Calm" series as I was out of town Monday and Tuesday. Days 16 & 17 definitely convicted me, focusing on self-discipline and exercise. I have always struggled in these two areas.

I will be honest, I read the devotions last night after a not so great evening, and all I felt was depressed and overwhelmed. I feel like I can barely hold it together, now that Rick and I are both working full time. The laundry is piling up, the house is messy, paperwork is falling behind. I am also, again, challenged by the juxtaposition of my role as breadwinner versus my desire to be a godly wife and mother (by the way-if anyone figures out how to do both well, please let me in on your secret!).

But this morning I read about Abigail, who eventually became a wife of King David. Before she was married to David, she was married to Nabal-a man who was less than an ideal husband. Nabal was rude, crude, and disrespectful to those around him, which surely included Abigail. However, she still managed to be gracious, wise, frugal, and compassionate to others-all of the characteristics I desire and feel that I lack! She did not let her situation control her and prevent her from being the woman of God she was called to be!

So today, as I start to feel overwhelmed once again by life's circumstances, I will remember Abigail and her refusal to let her life's circumstances stand in the way of her relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment