Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ecclesiates 9:1-12

We have been "Unlocking the Meaning of Life" through a study of Ecclesiastes in both Sunday morning worship and small groups during the week. Tonight we studied Ecclesiastes 9:1-12....

Solomon addresses the brevity of life in these verses. While we cannot live recklessly and irresponsibly with no thought to the consequences of today's actions, we should live each day appreciating it as the gift it is and adhering to God's will for us. We should do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord not because today may be our last, but because it is what He instructs and desires us to do.

In verse 4 "But for him who is joined to all the living, there is hope, for a living dog is better than a dead lion." Here we see that the noblest, most upstanding men (and women) who die without salvation and without knowing God have no hope, but the vilest and worst of creatures have hope as long as they have life.

Eccl. 9:9 says "Live joyfully with the wife who you love all the days of your vain which He has given you under the sun, all your days of vanity; for that is your portion in life, and in the labor which you perform under the sun." Although Solomon seems to have a sarcastic attitude towards the reader here, he addresses the issue of monogamy and loving one woman for a lifetime. Proverbs 5 also addresses this in v. 15-21 instructing again that man should have one wife and not be "enraptured by an immoral woman and be embraced in the arms of a seductress." (Proverbs 5:20). We are to be faithful to our spouse throughout our lifetime.

"I returned and saw under the sun that-
The race is not to the swift
Nor the battle to the strong
Nor the bread to the wise
Nor riches to men of understanding
Nor favor to men of skill
But time and chance happen to them all."
Ecclesiastes 9:11

God does not necessarily reward the things we give value to in this carnal world. In fact, throughout history He has used the weakest and least "qualified" to do His work...and in that is the power of God. Without God, David would have fallen at Goliath's feet, Moses would have run away from Egypt and Pharaoh, Joseph would have left Mary for shame of being unwed and pregnant. Over and over He has shown us that He does not value the traits that we hold so highly among ourselves.

Lord, let me live each day for You. Let me seek you through prayer and scripture. When I am challenged or unsure of myself, let me seek wisdom in You and Your word. Father, I trust you to care for me through whatever trials come my way. I pray that I will not seek the approval of this world, but rather seek You and Your grace. I know that my works on this earth can never make me worthy of You, but I praise you for sending Your Son to give me value, to give me worth in Your eyes. Lord, I ask that I remain diligent in my pursuit of You and live each day according to Your will.
-Amen-

No comments:

Post a Comment