Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Instruction About Forgiveness-Matt. 18:21-35

"Then Peter came to Him and said,
'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him?
Up to seven times?'
Jesus said to him 'I do not say to you up to seven times,
but up to seventy times seven."
Matthew 18:21-22

Jesus goes on to tell the story of a king who showed mercy on his servant and forgave his debt of 10,000 talents, but the servant turned around and had his friend thrown in jail for a debt of 100 talents.

"And his master was angry,
and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
So my heavenly Father also will do to you
if each of you, from his heart,
does not forgive his brother his trespasses."
Matthew 18:34-35

Whose debts have you forgiven? Are you holding a grudge? Do you pray for your enemies? Jesus showed me in this passage that I should not be angry with my friends or neighbors, I need to forgive their offenses, perceived or real, and show them a small fraction of the love that God showed me by sacrificing His son for my offenses. It is easy to hold on to anger and resentment, especially when we have been hurt and feel that these feelings are justified. But not only does this anger and resentment poison our lives here on earth, it can jeopardize our relationship with God and that is not a price I am willing to pay!

Lord, help me to forgive those who have trespassed against me as you forgive my trespasses. Help me to love my neighbors and pray for my enemies. Help me to be an example of your forgiveness by letting go of my anger and resentment, no matter how justified I think it may be.
-Amen-

1 comment: