Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Heart Committed to Prayer-Post 2

Continuing with the blessings of prayer....




4) Improved Relationships
  • You cannot think about yourself & others at the same time.
  • You cannot hate the person you are praying for.
  • You cannot neglect the person you are praying for.

"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you." Matthew 5:44

5) Contentment

"Let your conduct be without covetousness, be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said 'I will not leave you nor forsake you'." Hebrews 13:5

The world would have us believe that more is better, things will make us happy, and money is the answer to all. But God tells us differently....the voice of truth says that we are to be content with what we have, not ask for more. This does not mean that being poor is good or being wealthy is bad...we are to be satisfied with what we have, be it little or much. Elizabeth George says "If he doesn't meet it, you didn't need it!".

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord will give grace and glory, no good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly." Psalm 84:11.

6) "God"-Confidence

The world teaches us that self-confidence is what we should strive for. Be independent, self-reliant, need no one else. But God teaches us we should need Him, depend on Him, rely on Him. Through prayer we can become "God"-confident. As we make choices that honor God, His spirit fills us and we are able to confidently share our joy.

"Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing." Psalm 100:2

God-confidence gives us the ability to do His will with delight, anticipation and courage.

"I delight to do Your will, O my God; and you law is in my heart." Psalm 40:8

7) The Ministry of Prayer

Most of us know the power of prayer, how it can change lives. It is a ministry in itself. As a wife and mother who works outside the home, I often feel I don't have the time I would like to devote to ministry (a fact that I am trying to change). But, I can always pray. My ministry is through my prayers.

Father, help me to pray for my enemies. Let me lift them up to you, bless them and their families. Lord, let me be content with what You have provided for me. Keep the desire for more out of my heart and away from my soul. Remind me that the things of this earth are fleeting, and my treasure is in Heaven with You. Help me to be "God"-confident, not self-confident, for I know that I am weak and my only value is in You. Lord, let my prayers be a ministry, remind me to pray for those seeking You and those who need healing, physical and spiritual. Let my prayers change lives through You.

-Amen-

No comments:

Post a Comment